The refuge is named to Franco Remondino, an alpine soldier who died on July 27, 1931, while climbing the Rocca Gialeo peak with his companion Erasmo Vivarelli. In memory of Remondino, his numerous friends and members of the Italian Alpine Club (CAI) decided to build an alpine shelter in this area, which was still lacking in facilities or shelters.
The shelter, inaugurated on September 30, 1934, consisted of a spacious bivouac in the classic semi-cylindrical shape made of wood and covered with metal sheets, with 10-12 sleeping places on a wooden platform, oil lamps for lighting, and water supplied from a source 80 meters away.
In 1946, the Remondino, although damaged by wartime events, was restored and continued to fulfill its functions, which became increasingly cramped over the years due to the increasing tourist flow.
In the 1960s, it was decided to build a real masonry refuge, more spacious and comfortable, which was inaugurated on June 26, 1966.